Atlanta Public Schools (APS) selected the Price Middle School GO Team to receive the Outstanding GO Team Award for 2022-2023.
The award recognizes a GO Team that has demonstrated a commitment to creating a culture where teachers, parents and community members actively and authentically participate in school level governance, fostering innovative ideas to increase family and community engagement and student achievement.
“In everything we do, we strive to put our students and families first,” says Luqman Abdur-Rahman, principal of Price Middle School. “That’s why our GO Team is so important to the success of our school community. We value their input and see them as partners as we work to create a positive school culture where every student can thrive.”
“The Price GO Team has modeled excellence for schools across our district,” says Dr. Nikkita Warfield, Chief Academic Officer, Purpose Built Schools Atlanta. “They have shown what it looks like to be committed leaders, excellent at decision making, and strong communicators. We thank them for the work they have done for Price and all our scholars.”
The award was presented at the APyeS! Awards on November 5, 2022. GO Teams were evaluated on the following criteria:
Commitment to leadership
- Shows commitment to the governance process by holding at least 6 meetings per year, noticing meetings to the public and ensuring all meeting materials and members are listed on the website.
- Demonstrates understanding of shared governance through communication, collaboration, and mutual accountability with all stakeholders in executing the school’s and Atlanta Public Schools’ vision
- Acts as critical connector to families, staff and community
Develops a strong community involving a range of stakeholders
- Forms committees or stakeholder groups to address issues and has made progress in addressing that issue
- Leads outreach to specialized parent groups
- Extends invitations to other parents to provide input on school decisions under the GO Team purview
Encourages two way communication
- Encourages communication between the school and school community
- Promotes use of available communication channels to support governance
- Promotes outreach to parents